Winters in Brandon, Mississippi, can feel frigid. That’s why you need your home’s furnace working at peak efficiency. When something goes wrong, you may think you can fix it yourself to save time and money. However, making repairs to your furnace yourself can be dangerous and even lethal. Here are a few reasons you should skip the DIY furnace repair and call a professional instead:
The Dangers of Carbon Monoxide
Your furnace produces carbon monoxide through the process of burning fuel. A problem with the furnace, such as a cracked heat exchanger, can cause this colorless and odorless gas to leak into your home, causing illness or even death. An improper DIY furnace repair can put your family at risk, as well, so don’t take any chances. Keep working carbon monoxide detectors in your home at all times, and call a professional if you suspect a problem.
The Risk of Fire
Any device that produces a great deal of heat, like an indoor gas furnace, poses a risk of fire. A problem with wiring can cause a fire that ignites the flammable fuel. If you smell natural gas in your home, don’t attempt to locate or correct the problem yourself. Get all the people and pets out of the house. Once you’re a safe distance away, call the utility company and fire department.
The Threat of Electrocution
Your furnace has electrical components, which means you risk electrocution if you touch the wrong part of the system in an unsafe manner. Professionals know how to avoid these injuries and have the equipment to address issues with your furnace without getting hurt. Most homeowners don’t have those advantages. Even if you suspect the problem is small, such as a short in the wiring, it’s still best to call in a professional to make the repairs.
At Modern Air, we have a team of trained and experienced professionals ready to help you take care of your furnace. Call us at (601) 202-5968 for everything from preventive maintenance to emergency repairs.
Image provided by Shutterstock